FSA MTB PowerBox Carbon Crankset Power MeterJosh Matthew September 12, 2019
A high-end, affordable, crank-based MTB power meter
FSA MTB PowerBox Carbon Crankset Power Meter
The FSA MTB PowerBox Carbon Crankset Power Meter is a crank-based power meter, with power being measured at the spider. Specifically, it uses Power2Max’s proven spider design. The FSA PowerBox Carbon uses FSA’s 7075 aluminum chainrings, FSA hollow carbon composite arms with a UD finish and a BB392EVO 30 mm spindle. In addition, the chainring features a thick-thin tooth design for maximum chain engagement.
The power meter uses a CR2450 battery (which is very easy to replace), gets approximately 400 hours of battery life and is accurate to within 2% (industry standard).
- Chainring sizes: 36 | 34 | 32 | 30 | 36/24
- Crank arm lengths: 170 mm | 175 mm
- Left/Right Power Balance: The Left/Right Power Balance upgrade allows you to see your estimated left/right power balance. That is, how much power each leg is generating. Please note, this requires a bicycle computer that is capable of displaying left/right data (most new computers are). The cost of this upgrade is $50
- Bluetooth SMART: The PowerBox comes with ANT+ capability. At any time, you can upgrade it to a dual ANT+|Bluetooth SMART unit. The cost of this upgrade is also $50
The power meter uses a BB392EVO 30 mm axle. This makes the power meter compatible with virtually every frame on the market when used with the correct bottom bracket and spacers.
The chainrings have a 96|68 BCD and are compatible with Shimano 10- and 11-speed groupsets and SRAM 10- and 11-speed groupsets. This allows you to use a wide variety of chanrings.
In the Box
- FSA MTB PowerBox Carbon Crankset Power Meter
- 2450 coin cell battery
- Quick Start guide
FSA MTB PowerBox Carbon Crankset Specs
|Name||FSA MTB PowerBox Carbon|
|Location of Power Measurement||Spider|
|Left or Both Legs Measured||Both|
|Independent Left/Right Measurement||Yes (estimated) - with system upgrade|
|Chainring Configuration||1x (single) and 2x (double)|
|Installation||More involved (60 min. estimated)|
|Communication Protocol||ANT+. Bluetooth SMART with system upgrade|
|Claimed Accuracy||+/- 2.0%|
|Weight||753 grams (1x). 767 grams (2x)|
|Battery Type||2450 coin cell|
|Battery Life||400 hours|
|Method of Cadence Measurement||Accelerometer|